Monday, May 9, 2011

Wilco - Live at the University of North Texas, Denton (May 7, 2011)



When I found out that one of my favorite bands was going to be playing in a building that I had class in at one time on the campus of the University of North Texas, I was beyond psyched.  What I didn't predict, however, was that the Auditorium Building in all of it's vintage glory would be as hot and stuffy as a summer sauna on gig night.  Which concert promoter thought it would be a good idea to cram all of these people into this place without selling concessions?

All in all though, this bothered me up until downbeat on Wilco's set.  By the middle of "Ashes of American Flags," I had forgotten all about the uncomfortable conditions.  The small crowd was treated to some of the best rock and roll going these days featuring some incredible guitar action from the always impressive Nels Cline.  Jeff Tweedy joked about the hilariously unnecessary metal barricades that had been placed a few feet in front of the stage.  "We're probably going to be arrested for inciting fun."

This was only my second live Wilco experience, but it didn't disappoint in the slightest.  Highlights for me included "Via Chicago," "Handshake Drugs," "Shot In The Arm," "Impossible Germany," and "Airline To Heaven."

No comments:

Post a Comment