Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Morning Drive - May 3, 2011



The Gaslight Anthem - Sink Or Swim (2007)

It was as if my 2006 self visited me and offered to take me for a ride; a road trip over past days and miles of countryside.  Bound for the northeast; in a classic car with outlaw cowboy bands on the radio, we cruised into New Brunswick, New Jersey.  Stepping over cracked sidewalks surrounded by sprawling tufts of weeds, we arrived at a run-down old warehouse building near the river.  Upon further inspection, this particular edifice was serving as a rehearsal space.  Turning back a section of rusty and dusty chain link fence like the first page of the best book I’d yet to read, we approached to the sounds of muddled yet melodic Americana-flavored punk rock.  Crouched against an aging brick wall beneath windows that had seen far too many tossed stones, I was told to listen up.  A band that my current self already loved and had inversely introduced me to the influential albums of their predecessors was here, getting their start.
That’s what Sink Or Swim sounds like.

No comments:

Post a Comment