Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Review: Manchester Orchestra - Simple Math

May 10, 2011
Favorite Gentlemen

File:Simplemath.jpg Rating:  5.9/10

The third full-length from Atlanta rockers Manchester Orchestra misses more often than it hits.  Believe me, I'm not listening for blaring originality when I put on an album from Andy Hull and the boys.  Usually, I know I'm going to get some mildly aggressive and melodic rock music.  In the case of "Simple Math," however, I find myself consistently comparing MO to the bands that clearly influenced their sound.  As much as I'd like to just sit back and casually enjoy these songs, I just can't stop myself from thinking, "wow, they are going for Built To Spill (or Nirvana, or Pink Floyd) here."

I'm not saying that a band wearing its influences on the proverbial sleeve is always a bad thing.  There are plenty of records out there that I love that are more or less homages to the history-makers of rock that came before.  It just rubs me the wrong way on this one.  Throwing in the phrase "comfortably numb"  and hitting us with a "brick in the wall" style children's chorus a few tracks later just doesn't sit well for me.

Enough complaining though, because there are some positives to be found in this otherwise mediocre batch of tunes.  "Pensacola" is a radio-friendly pop track that edges uncomfortably close to Blue October territory without ruining the song.  "Apprehension" is another solid offering that would have fit in nicely on one of the Orchestra's finer albums.  The paramount moment occurs with the raucous brilliance of "April Fool," which is a throwback to the heyday of alternative rock.  If I keep one thing in the regular rotation from this collection, it will be this headbanger.  Hull shouts at us, "I've got that rock and I roll!"  On this one, Andy, you sure do.  I just wish it appeared more often.

http://www.themanchesterorchestra.com/
Manchester Orchestra on Facebook
Buy on Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment