Tuesday, April 12, 2011

First Impression: Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues



Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues

The self-titled from this Pacific Northwest outfit was one of my favorite albums of 2008.  It showcased some of the best songwriting I heard that year and introduced many to some seriously beautiful vocal harmonies.  Reminiscent of the Beach Boys or Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, it made for great sunny day headphone listening.

On their most recent offering, Fleet Foxes stay fairly close to the formula that endeared them to so many a couple of years ago.  This time, it's a little bit more polished and a little bit less rustic.  The lead vocal is featured higher in the mix, but the harmonies still soar.  Again, it is those very harmonies that carry these songs through most of the album.

There are a couple of moments of experimentation that had me questioning if I was still listening to Fleet Foxes, but they were still interesting and will probably reveal plenty of treasures after subsequent listens.  I can already tell I'll be giving this plenty of time over the summer months.

No comments:

Post a Comment