Monday, April 18, 2011

Biggest Disappointment of 2011 (So Far...)



Bright Eyes - The People's Key

I have been a fan of almost everything Conor Oberst has put out over the years.  I enjoyed the self-titled, I really liked Cassadaga, and the crazy drugged out earlier albums like Fevers & Mirrors and Lifted even grew on me eventually.  I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning is one of my favorite albums of the last decade.  So, yes, I consider myself a Bright Eyes fan.

However, if I'm going to continue to give myself that distinction, I'm going to have to ignore the final album to be released under the Bright Eyes moniker.  This album is utter crap, and that's unfortunate.  I've gotten past some of the spoken word stuff that has littered past works, but I just can't tolerate it on this one.  I might be able to ignore it if the music weren't so uninspired and bland.  "Ladder Song" is the only spot on this recording that I somewhat enjoy, and even that might just be relatively pleasant compared to the junk before it.

I usually rant and rave about great music on the Dogwood Bark, so this is new territory for me.  I'll just close by saying if you haven't heard this thing yet, don't bother.  Just spin Morning or Lifted and remember the days when Oberst was relevant.

No comments:

Post a Comment