Thursday, April 28, 2011

Morning Drive - April 28, 2011



George Harrison - All Things Must Pass (1970)

My favorite Beatle.  My favorite of any of the Beatles' solo albums.  Yeah, Ram is great.  Plastic Ono Band is a classic as well.  Neither of them touch this one for me though, imagine that. 

Driven by several tracks commendable enough to take a spin on any Beatles album, All Things Must Pass steers the listener through a series of exquisitely constructed melodies that truly stand the test of time.  Harrison later proclaimed that the songs themselves and Phil Spector's typical reverb-soaked production techniques didn't merge well on this particular record.  With all due respect to one of my enduring heroes, I politely disagree.

"Behind That Locked Door" is better than some of McCartney's entries on White.  "My Sweet Lord" and "What Is Life" still feel fresh and relevant 30 years later.  "If Not For You" is one of my mix-tape staples and makes a great ringtone for when loved ones are calling.  The songs hold their own here, studio switch tinkering aside.

I will say that the jam sessions at the end probably won't escape my speakers but for a handful of times over the course of a lifetime.  The rest, however, is extraordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment