Thursday, March 24, 2011

Review: The Decemberists - The King Is Dead

January 14, 2011
Capitol

Rating:  7.8/10

When I heard The Decemberists play "Down by the Water" on one of the late night talk shows, I was a little torn.  I liked the song, but I distinctly remember being confused by the straightforward alt-country sound of it.  Wondering if we were going to get an album full of stripped down foot-stompers, my curiosity and subsequent anticipation for the release of The King Is Dead grew.

To be fair (or unfair, depending on how you look at it), I never even bothered listening to 2009's The Hazards of Love.  I had heard/read just too many negative reviews about grandiose, Broadway-style theatrics and overly colorful instrumentation that I just didn't take the time to give it a chance (and still haven't to this day).  So, unlike many articles I've read about the latest offering from The Decemberists, this one won't be clouded with night and day comparisons between the opposite ends of the spectrum from which the two albums were born.

Instead, I will discuss The King Is Dead on its own merits.  Besides, it's not like we've never heard stylistic changes from The Decemberists in the past (as subtle as they may have been in comparison).

First off, Peter Buck from R.E.M. plays on three tracks.  So as you can imagine, there are numerous moments in which the boys from Athens, Georgia come to mind.  While we're name-dropping the obvious influences on this record, how about Neil Young and early Wilco?  Getting the picture yet?  TKID showcases some really pretty melodies as well as some rustic tunes that rattle forward like a countryside train.  For the most part, it all fits into a nice little pleasant package.  The aforementioned "Down by the Water" features an instantly hummable melody with backing vocals from Gillian Welch.  Another highlight, "January Hymn" shows off Meloy's uncanny ability to create a simple and beautiful tune.  It's about the songs this time around, and each one has its own space to breathe. 

I don't foresee this album landing at the top of the rankings in the Decemberists' catalog (probably somewhere in the middle, in fact).  But I'm not looking to listen to a classic every time I plug in the iPod.  Sometimes I just want to hear something enjoyable; something that gets me drumming on the steering wheel.  The King Is Dead does the trick.  Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment