Monday, October 4, 2010

"I heard cuts by The Kinks on your speakers..."


My Kinks listening frequency has grown exponentially over the past year or so.  I admit it; I loved the song "Lola" growing up, and it was that song that drove me to ask my dad to rip me the greatest hits double-disc later in life.  Why did I wait so long?  Well, I had heard a few too many reports that this band was nothing better than a Beatles rip-off.  As my musical tastes grow and mature, I realize how false those accusations really were.

While The Kinks will never touch the Beatles in my musical hierarchy (no band will), I feel lucky that I have given this material a fair shake.  I went from never hearing a thing outside of the classic rock radio standards to developing a true admiration for quite a few albums.

As I often do, I started with what seems to be the most critically acclaimed, The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society.  I loved it from the first go round, and I ventured out from there.  Now, Something Else By The Kinks, Muswell Hillbillies, Arthur, and (of course) Lola Vs. Powerman and the Moneygoround are all given significant play time on my iPod.  As many have claimed, The Kinks are not known for being a strong "album band" (could have fooled me).  So, I still find time to rock the greatest hits compilations from time to time as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment