Monday, August 15, 2011

Review: Frank Turner - England Keep My Bones

June 6, 2011
Xtra Mile Recordings, Epitaph


File:Frank Turner - England Keep My Bones Cover.jpg Rating:  8.0/10

I keep having dreams of pioneers, and pirate ships; and Bob Dylan.  These folk songs for the modern age are for punks, and folks and journeymen.  Not everyone can be Freddie Mercury, but everyone can raise a glass and sing. 

We are electric pulses in pathways of the sleeping soul of the country.  The path I chose isn’t straight and narrow.  It wanders ‘round like a drunken fellow.  Some days it’s hard for me to follow, but if you’ve got my back I’ll go on.  If you’ve got my back, I’ll go on.

On the worst days, when it feels like life weighs ten thousand tons, I sleep with my passport, one eye on the back door so I can always run.  But love is free, and life is cheap.  As long as I’ve got me a place to sleep, clothes on my back, and some food to eat, I can’t ask for anything more.

Teenage kicks and gramophones, we will hold them in our hearts.  They remind us of things that matter; home, and hearth and history.  And I still believe in the need for guitars, and drums, and desperate poetry.  I still believe that everyone can find a song for every time they've lost and every time they’ve won.

I always keep an open house, and I always do right by my friends.  And when I get to St. Peter’s gate, I’ll tell the people that I’m not the one who needs to make amends.  It doesn’t matter where you come from, it matters where you go.  No one gets remembered in this listless life for things they didn’t do.

And on the day I die, I’ll say ‘at least I fucking tried.’  After all, it was rock ‘n roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment